Grading Policy

The student assumes responsibility for the course syllabus within the term he or she is enrolled. It is the professional responsibility of the faculty to evaluate achievement and assign grades. No one other than the faculty member responsible for the course taught may assign or change a grade, unless they follow grievance policy.

Many courses are graded on an A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-,F, DF, NF basis. Some courses are also graded on an S, U basis. A temporary grade of I (incomplete) may be assigned, at the discretion of the instructor, when a student has not completed all requirements for a course at the end of the grade period.

A temporary grade of I (incomplete) assigned to a required course in the nursing program must be removed within the first week of the following semester in order for the nursing student to continue enrollment in the School of Nursing.

Incomplete (I) grades will only be granted for extenuating circumstances, such as illness, accident, etc., which will prevent the student from completing the course; an incomplete grade cannot be given to avoid a failing grade in the course. Appropriate documentation (i.e. medical) must accompany the Incomplete Grade Request form. The student must have completed at least 75% of the course with a passing grade when requesting an incomplete. The student must request and incomplete from the instructor. It is the responsibility of the student to make up incomplete work. The instructor must complete the Incomplete Grade Request form and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.  Refer to the Incomplete Grade Request form for the complete policy. A one term extension can be granted if the student files a request (request forms can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office) with the faculty member and the faculty member signs and submits it to the Registrar’s Office. Any additional extension must be approved by the Provost. Special requests and appeals pertaining to incomplete grades may be made to the Academic Policy Committee.

No grade may be changed by a faculty member after it has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office, unless he or she can demonstrate a grading error. The faculty member must file a form, available from the Registrar’s Office, giving the basis for the error and assign the new grade. The Registrar’s Office does not routinely notify students of grade changes.

A student wishing to take a credit course with the S or U option must make the decision with the professor in writing the first five (5) business days of the term in which the course is taken. The grade of S or U is reserved for elective courses, HPE 10101, and the activity courses. An application form, available from the Registrar’s Office, must be completed by the student and returned, and will be on file in the Registrar’s Office so that the S or U notation is identified on the 15th day roster.

All grades awarded are recorded on the student’s permanent academic record. Grades of S, I, IC, K, P, AU NG, W, and NW are not calculated in grade point averages (G.P.A.). The G.P.A. for each semester is computed on all other grades received during a semester.